Zakidlets and I baked this caramel chocolate slice on Tuesday afternoon. This slice is a great classic Women’s Weekly Recipe, I don’t think I have ever come across a women’s weekly recipe that has disappointed me.
It’s my little boy Blake’s favourite slice and he was the one who requested we make it.
I got lots of assistance from 3 sets of little hands.
1 cup self-raising four
1 cup coconut (as an alternative I sometimes use rolled oats or do 1/2 cup of each)
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
125g butter melted
400g can condensed milk
2 Tablespoons golden syrup
125g dark chocolate chopped
1. Lightly grease 20cm x 30cm lamington pan.
2. Combine sifted flour, coconut and sugar in bowl, add butter, stir until combined, add butter (sometimes I need a little extra), stir until combined.
3. Press mixture over base of prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven 15 minutes.
4. While base is baking combine condensed milk, butter and golden syrup in pan, stir over LOW heat, without boiling, about 15 minutes or until mixture is golden brown.
5. Pour hot filling over hot cooked base, return to oven 10 minutes, then cool.
6. Combine chocolate and butter in pan, stir over low heat until smooth (I melt all my chocolate pan over heated water style see here for further instruction). I usually use a stainless steel bowl over the pan the other tip is not to let the water in the saucepan below be touching the base of pan your chocolate is in.
7. Spread warm topping over filling, stand at room temperature until set (I put slice in fridge for about 1 hour to set then I slice it up, pop slices in an airtight container and store in fridge especially in summer!!!) keeps in fridge for a good week.
Have a go at this slice its worth the effort.
Enjoy we did. It is now all gone!!!