This delicious recipe was shared with me by ZaBeautiful friend Jennifer, it was shared with her by her beautiful mother-in-law Judy. I love recipes that get handed down as you know they don’t get passed on and shared unless they work!!!!
I have always loved Vanilla slice, the biggest challenge I find with any vanilla slice is working out how to eat it in an orderly fashion, however that has never deterred me from devouring many a slice most being pieces I have shared with ZaGrandma, she adores vanilla slice too!!!!
I made this over the weekend and it doesn’t put you to much trouble at all and is well worth making. ZaGreatNan, ZaNan, ZaAuntyRikki, ZaDada and I all enjoyed a slice with a cup of tea yesterday all I can say is mmm mmm mmmmmmmm!!!
2 sheets puff pastry
4 heaped tablespoons powdered milk (to make three cups milk)
1/2 cup custard powder
1 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla (or vanilla bean paste)
1 tablespoon powdered gelatine
1/4 cup boiling water
1. Cook puff pastry in a 230 degree oven on two baking trays for about ten minutes. Cool
2. Mix milk slowly into custard powder.
3. Add cream and sugar. Stir constantly over a low heat until thick.
4. Dissolve gelatine in the boiling water. Add to the thickened custard mixture. Add in vanilla.
5. Grease and line a square baking tin with baking paper (I use a 20 cm one). Trim edges of cooked puff pastry if needed and place in the bottom of the tin. It is OK if the pastry goes up the side a little as it will help hold the custard in. Pour custard over the base, and then place the second pastry sheet on top. Refrigerate until set (overnight or half a day is best).
6. Ice with passionfruit icing. Cut into squares to serve….but use a very sharp knife for best results!