I have to confess I was shopping with the kids at our local Coles supermarket the other day and my little boy Blake pointed out some cupcakes that took his eye in the bakery section, and that my friend’s is where my inspiration came from to create a similar cupcake like these ones, made from scratch at home.
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MUD CUPCAKES
60g dark eating chocolate, coarsely chopped.
2/3 cup (160ml) water
90g butter, softened
1cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup (100g) self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 cup (40g) almond meal
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C/150 degrees C fan- forced. Line a 12 hole standard muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Combine chocolate and the water in small saucepan, stir over low heat until smooth (I used a bowl over simmering water method, as I never trust chocolate).
3. Beat butter, sugar and eggs in bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
4. Stir in sifted flour and cocoa, almond meal and warm chocolate mixture. divide mixture among cases. (I found mixture to be very thin, I added some extra self-raising flour but I really think you would be fine without it and should end up with an even moister cake then I did).
5. Bake cakes for about 25 minutes. Turn cakes onto wire rack to cool.
COOKIES AND CREAM ICING
125g (4oz) butter
1 1/2 cups icing sugar (I use Coles brand soft icing mixture)
2 tablespoons milk
150g packet orio biscuits (I used about 10 biscuits from the packet)
Have butter and milk at room temperature, place butter in small bowl of electric mixer, beat until butter is as white as possible, gradually add about half the sifted icing sugar, beating constantly,add milk gradually, then gradually beat in remaining icing sugar, mixture should be smooth and easy to spread with a spatula.
To make icing cookies and cream flavour I used 10 original Orio biscuits and processed them to a fine crumb in food processor. I then mixed them thru the Vienna cream evenly. Garnish with a little bit of Orio biscuit crumb.
I chose to pipe the icing on the cupcakes but that is completely your choice, they will taste the same regardless!!!